Friday, January 8, 2010

It's Official...We're going through our "alike" stage

Christy and I have historically gone through stages of looking alike and looking not-so-alike.  It was the general consensus over New Year's weekend that we're in our alike stage.  Christy and Mike had a Rose Bowl gathering and everyone there kept saying it.  Which we're used to.

Ryan's really never had a problem telling us apart after we started dating - he's actually pretty darn good at it.  This weekend something hilarious happened - he totally got us confused.  Hello hubby?  I'm the one over here :)

We were watching TV - I was in the recliner and Ryan was in the couch sitting right next to me.  Christy was in the "cuddle chair" across the room, which is bigger than a love seat but much smaller than a couch (it fits two really comfortably - hence the name).  Ryan got up and left the room for a couple minutes.  When he came back, he gets a smile on his face and hops in the cuddle chair with Chris.  He nudged her over with his butt a couple times (like scoot...scoot).  I'm sitting there across the room thinking...."hmm...there is a 70% chance he's confused, and a 30% chance that he really wanted to sit in that chair (which, coincidentally, has a horrible view of the TV compared to the couch)."  And Christy's sitting there like, ok, whatever.  Mike got really excited when he saw Ryan sit down there, and subsequently sprawled all across the couch in glee.  So, I think, "ok, whichever it is, I really don't care if Ryan shares a chair with my sister.  Let's see if he puts his arm around her!"  A social experiment is going off in my brain.  You can tell how worried Mike and I are about this situation.

Fast forward ten minutes of watching a Fraiser re-run, and Christy laughs out loud.  The look on Ryan's face was priceless.  He turned, looked at her, and busted out laughing.  He totally thought it was me.  She had blue pajama bottoms on, and he's used to associating blue with me (and maroon with her).  We were all laughing so hard.  I don't think I stopped laughing for about 5 minutes.  Hys-ter-ical!  After 11 years, he finally got us confused :)  We're still laughing about it.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That story is awesome.

Paul W. Nash said...

After we hung out with you guys last time, I told Amy that you (Nikki) TOTALLY reminded me of Christy the entire night. I almost kept saying something about it that night, but was worried you'd be annoyed. So, I'm glad it's not just me!

Liv said...

This story makes me feel SO much better about thinking Christy was you over Christmas! I associate you with San Jose of course which doesn't really work at the holidays, and I told Christy how much I enjoyed your Hawaii pictures on the blog! She was like "Um, like from a year ago?" and I hesitated, STILL NOT GETTING MY MISTAKE, and was like "Um, yeah. Gosh, has it been that long?" Then when I was standing off by myself watching your sister talk with your parents, I totally got it. And then of course everyone started talking about you, which would have been decidedly helpful at the beginning of the night. D'Oh! But now I feel better. :) Missed you at x-mas!

Christy said...

LOL, I think he only saw me through his peripheral vision! That's okay, since I've got at least 10 lbs on you now, I'll take it as a compliment that people are mixing us up!